Cross-country Ski camp + Overnight Expedition:
Learn to cross-country ski and enjoy daily ski trips in Lapland!
2-8 March 2024
16-22 March 2024
Cross-country skiing is synonymous with Lapland, and part of everyday culture here. You’ll experience wonderful pristine winter scenery, with a workout that combine cardio and muscle strength. Join us for this camp to learn the basics or come and improve your technique. The highlight of this camp is an overnight ski expedition to a wilderness cabin (not mandatory but much recommended)!
You can choose the duration based on your schedule. Recommendation is min. 3 days of lessons (see a full schedule below).
WHY THIS TRIP?
March / April is best time for XC skiing. The Ylläs / Levi area has more than 500 kilometers of superbly maintained ski tracks and a network of cozy wilderness cafes along the way. It’s already warmer, sun is bright and days are long (approx. 16 hours). If you enjoy endurance sports and outdoors…you will likely fall in love with XC skiing. If you don’t like heights, don’t worry: this is very different from Alpine skiing – the tracks are not steep.
The 2024 camps run on 2-8 March and 16-22 March. If these times don’t fit your schedule, let us know as we will be running regular lessons from January to the end of April.
Schedule: Sat 2 – 8 March
- Sat 2 March: Arrival and welcome day. Introduction to cross-country skiing and equipment
- Daily XC ski lessons and ski trips in the national park from 2-5 March
- Cross-country ski expedition from 6-7 March
- 8 March, your last day in Ylläs (activity wise this day is open for your wishes)
Schedule: Sat 16 – Fri 22 March
- Sat 16 March: Arrival and welcome day. Introduction to cross-country skiing and equipment
- Daily XC ski lessons and ski trips in the national park from 17 – 19 March
- cross-country ski expedition from 20-21 March.
- 22 March, your last day in Ylläs (activity wise this day is open for your wishes)
- If you can’t make the whole week, don’t worry. You can join the first days and skip the expedition.
- If you already know how to cross-country ski (good base level), you can also choose to join the expedition without the first few days.
- Ylläs – Levi area is full of activities from husky rides to snow biking. The last day is open so you can explore one of these activities or have a day of relaxation. We are happy to help with ideas.
Level 2. No need to have previous skiing experience but a reasonable base fitness level is recommended. Daily distances are adjusted to your level.
2-8 (you can bring your friends or come on your own). Both classic and skating style lessons available.
From €300 per person.
Lesson plan that suits your needs and schedule. A preparatory call online before you travel and travel planning support. Daily lessons in Ylläs – Levi area including ski rental. Overnight expedition.
Equipment can be rented or you can bring your own. Riitta will be teaching all groups and an additional trainer is also available for larger groups.
Flights, accommodation outside the expedition and any additional tours.
We will base ourselves in Äkäslompolo town in Ylläs where the XC ski network is world class! Accommodation outside the overnight expedition is not included to allow flexibility in your own planning but we provide information on accommodation options. ARRIVAL TOWN: Kittilä (KTT). Flights via Helsinki, Finland. Finnair has flights multiple times per day.
To book or request for more information.